People’s motivations for job hunting vary wildly. In my experience as a recruiter I have met candidates who are hunting because they have reached a ceiling in their current role. Some who have become disillusioned with the company goals. Others who dislike their boss and a few who simply fancy a change.
January always sees an influx of candidates into the job market as New Years resolutions were remembered. But for those who didn’t make a pledge to find a new job in 2019, how can you tell if it is time to look for a new position.
Signs it is time to look for a new role….
- You start to dread Monday on Friday
- You are skiing down the French alps and you have to keep stopping to check your emails as the boss needs some info.
- Your children ask your other half who that strange person is in the kitchen.
- You are seriously thinking of starting smoking so you can take a break.
- You realise you have eaten your three meals that day with your laptop as a dinner date.
- It is no longer about doing the job well, it is about just getting the job done.
Keeping on top of the marketplace and your chosen field regardless of the situation in your current position is important. That way you can always assess your market value and keep an eye on potential opportunities for growth.
That way if your current role starts to stop fulfilling you, then you already have one eye on the job market and are ahead of the game.
And if you match points one to six – you may want to consider touching up your CV and finding something new!